While the blue screen of death or BSOD is quite common among pc users, there is another similar phenomenon- the Red Screen of Death or RSOD.
Many have experienced a red screen on their computer that does not go away even after pressing a key. The red colored screen remains fixed and it prevents the computer from operating normally. Many also had to try rebooting their PC manually to prevent the RSOD.
A Lot of users have experienced this RSOD after Windows 10 was launched. While some do not face this problem, others continue to experience it. Not just the PC, many users also experience the red screen of death on Apple devices, namely the iPhone 6, iPhone 5S and many other smartphones. But, in this article, we will discuss the RSOD issue of Windows 10 users.
What Does the Red Screen of Death Mean?
The red screen of death refers to a computer issue where the computer comes to a standstill after displaying a red background. It can happen anytime- while watching movies, working on your PC or even playing games. Some users also reported that their PC displayed an error message before the screen turned completely red.
While the red screen automatically goes away for many users, others may experience it frequently. It may even render your computer useless and lead to losing important files on the PC.
What Causes Red Screen of Death Windows 10?
Mostly, the RSOD results from hardware errors or even BIOS problems. But there can be other reasons as well. Experts have identified different causes which led to the RSOD issue during different stages of using your PC or laptop.
The common causes of the red screen of death for windows 10 devices are-
- Software or driver issue- If you have an outdated driver for third-party software incompatible with present windows 10, the red screen may appear when the system starts or during the booting procedure.
- Hardware issue- Does the red screen of death flash suddenly once in a while? You may need to check out the hardware of your PC or laptop. It is incompatible with the present game you are playing or needs some upgrading!
- Over clock settings– If you experience a blank red screen of death without any error message, the overclock settings are probably the reason. Adjusting the respective settings can fix this issue.
- Faulty Gpu– If your PC or computer gets into the red screen mode often, you probably need to check out the graphics card. A faulty or incompatible graphics card often leads to RSOD.
In the case of an outdated GPU driver, the red screen may appear with a movable cursor and functioning audio. That means you can hear audio and move the cursor on the screen.
If you have two monitors and either both or one of them goes into the red screen of death mode, you need to check the configuration of the graphics card driver. Most NVIDIA graphics card users experience this issue if they do not regularly update their graphics card drivers.
- Incompatible apps or games- If you experience a red screen of death with the message “;windows 10 explorer.exe.Excel ”, you probably need to check the applications you are using on your PC or computer. Gamers often experience this problem if the game software is not compatible with their PC configuration or in case of glitched game software. In such situations, check the configuration of each app and remove the incompatible apps or reinstall the problematic apps.
How can I fix the Red Screen of Death Errors on Windows 10?
1. Try a Repair Tool
One of the easiest ways to solve the RSOD is to go for a third-party repairing tool like Restore for Windows 10 PC or laptops. The tool scans your device and finds the issue behind the red screen. It then restores the software to ensure your device does not experience RSOD.
2. Change the Over Clocking Settings
Many users have experienced the RSOD due to the over clocking issue. Gamers change the hardware clock rate, voltage, or multiplier, especially the CPU or GPU clock rate.
Over clocking increases the performance of the PC or laptop. But, it also increases the heat production for your GPU and CPU, resulting in an unstable state that leads to the Red screen.
If you play games more than often using the over clocking system, try changing the respective settings. You can change the settings from the UEFI/BIOS menu. But, if you have not done anything related to over clocking, another cause exists.
3. Update the BIOS/UEFI Menu of your Device
Your BIOS or UEFI menu may also lead to frequent Red screen death if its configuration is incompatible with your installed graphics card. It happens in case you do not update the BIOS or UEFI menu while installing a new graphics card.
While many users get rid of the problem after updating their motherboard, others need to upgrade their BIOS menu to solve the red screen issue.
Here is how to update the BIOS/UEFI menu
- First, ensure your device has enough power. You can also plug it into the charging point to continue the power supply. While the BIOS menu is getting an update, never turn off the device, as this increases the risk of bricking your computer permanently.
- Now, open the official website of your device manufacturer and search for the model you ate using.
- Now, go to the download section and download the BIOS/UEFI model for your model. Some manufacturing companies offer executable BIOS/UEFI updates, while others require software like EZ Flash or WinFlash to install the update. You will find the updated installation conditions on the website.
- Now, you can either upload the file to your device directly or use third party software to install it.
- Now, continue the installation procedure by following the instructions on your screen.
4. Update your Graphic Card Driver
An outdated GPU driver is one of the common causes behind frequent RSOD on Windows 10. Hence, you should always keep the graphics card driver updated. Here is the step-by-step guide-
- In the search section, type “Drive Manager,” and when that appears, select it.
- Next, open the Drive Manager page and “Display Adapters” on the new screen.”
- In the next screen, under the “Display adapters ‘ section, search your device name and click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Uninstall” to install it.
- When a pop-up box appears, check on the box beside “Delete the driver software for this device” and click on “Uninstall” to initiate the uninstallation process.
- Restart your computer or laptop after the procedure is complete.
Now, to update the latest GPU driver software, visit the manufacturer’s website of your laptop or PC brand and search for the driver update of your respective device. Download it and install it on your device.
5. Check for Hardware Issues
Have you checked the hardware status of your device? It probably has a faulty graphics card, CD/DVD reader, or any other hardware problem that leads to the frequent red screen of death.
You can always visit the nearest service center of the brand to get the best solutions. Alternatively, you can call an expert and get the computer or laptop thoroughly checked to find the hardware issue and repair it.
6. Remove any Recently Installed Software
Recently installed software often leads to RSOD if that software is incompatible with your device. Here is how to delete such software-
- First, click on the start button and then open the Settings menu.
- Next, from the settings, open “Apps.”
- Click “Apps & features” on the left panel on the new screen. Under this tab, you will find all the latest installed software.
- Click on any softer you desire and then click on the “Uninstall” button.
7. Reinstall AMD drivers without Catalyst Control Center
Do you use AMD graphics cards on your PC or laptop? Changing the drivers without a Catalyst Control center may solve the RSOD issue.
Here is the step-by-step guide for doing this-
- First, remove the Graphics card driver from the
- Next, download the AMD driver latest version from the
- Run the setup and extract the downloaded files on your device in a preferred location. In the meantime, if the setup starts automatically, cancel it.
- After that, open “Device Manager.”
- In the new screen, expand the “Display adapters.”
- Under this section, find the graphics adapter you are using. Right-click on it. Click on “Update driver” from the drop-down to start the reinstallation procedure.
- Choose “Browse my computer for driver software on the new screen.”
- Now, in the next screen find the folder where you extracted all the files.
- After that, click “Next” and check the “Include Subfolders” to install the
- After the procedure is complete, restart your
8. Recover the atikmdag.sys file
- First, open your device’s “AMD driver folder” and search for the “atikmdag.sy_” file.
- Next, copy this file on your desktop or laptop.
- Now, in the search bar type “cmd ” to open the command prompt. Click on “Run as administrator” to run the command prompt from here.
- In the next screen, type “chdir Desktop” and press enter to change the folder to the desktop.
- Type “EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_atikmdag.sys” and press the enter key to run the program.
- From here, find the folder named “C:WindowsSystem32Drivers” and rename it to “atikmdag.sys.old”
- Now, transfer the file “stikmdag.sys” to “C:WindowsSystem32Drivers”
- After the whole procedure is complete, restart your device.
9. Change the settings.ini file
If you are experiencing the Red screen of death while playing a game, changing the settings.ini file for the game may help. Many users who reported the RSOD while playing the game Battlefield: Bad Company 2, were able to solve the issue by following his method.
Here is the step-by-step guide for this method-
- First, open the “Documents” section under the “Files” menu.
- Next, open the “BFBC folder.”
- From here, find the “Settings.ini” file. Open it.
- Here search for the line “DxVersion=auto” and change it with “DxVersion=9”
- Save your changes and launch the game again.
10. Under Clock your Graphic Card
As you already know, overclocking your graphics card may enhance the card’s performance, but it often leads to RSOD. So, you can try under clocking the graphics card or decreasing its original takt rate to solve the issue. Those who use AMD graphics cards, especially the AMD 7870 X card, benefited from this method.
Under clocking also requires serious effort and if you are unsure about it, always get professional help to prevent any damage to your device.
The RED Screen of Death can be a frustrating issue for anyone. You can try the methods mentioned above to solve the problem. Please remember that for each device, the reason behind RSOD can be different and not every solution will work. If nothing works for you, it is better to get professional help from an expert.
For lighting, electrical, signage, and technology solutions that allow you to do more call Sverige Energy today at +4(670) 4122522.